Here we are on the eve of the day when USCIS will begin accepting H-1B Petitions for FY2016. No doubt anxiety is high, so here is some information that may prove useful in quelling your nerves:
- USCIS accepts petitions for the first 5 business days of April (April 1, 2015 to April 7, 2015)
- 65,000 H-1B cap subject petitions are available each year for all applicant’s not exempt from the cap
- 20,000 H-1B cap exempt petitions are available for master’s degree or higher
- USCIS conducts a lottery if the 85,000 cap is reached within the first 5 business days of April
- USCIS completes the lottery selection process no later than May 8, 2015
- USCIS will begin processing petitions filed premium processing on May 11, 2015
Once the petition has been shipped (and you receive a tracking number), there is nothing more to do. Try not to harass your petitioning employer’s human resources department as they have no control over the timing of USCIS. The best way to track the FY2016 H1B Visa Lottery is to sign up for email updates here. Not only can you sign up for email updates, you can obtain valuable information about the FY2016 Visa Lottery, such as the number of petitions filed to date.